Given the K-W-L research model, over the course of a school year,
children will research, author and illustrate a nonfiction book
based on Common Core and ISTE standards.
|Welcome to the 2nd Grade Research and Publication Project which creates the context for collaborative teaching and technology integration. The purpose of this website is to offer tools and resources teachers can use to replicate and/or adapt this project succesfully.
Big Picture Objectives
Student Performance Objectives - we want the students to be able to:
- Raise student achievement.
- Teach elements of nonfiction.
- Prepare children for the E.L.A. exam.
- Develop technology skills.
- Plan their own research by asking questions and using a KWL chart.
- Gather information from a variety of sources.
- Construct a paragraph from their notes.
- Illustrate the text.
- Demonstrate the ability to collaboratively create a hard cover nonfiction book.
Before You Start
- Get permission from your principal to give you at least 2 periods a month when you can work with the classroom teacher and the art teacher.
- Order the book binding materials from Lintor
- Obtain the media release parental consent
Inquiry and Project Based Learning
- The teacher is a COACH who models the cycle of knowing facts, asking questions and finding information.
- The teacher is NOT expected to know everything about the animals at the beginning, nor at the end of the project.
- Buck Institue for Education
- NYCDOE - Middle School Resources
- InnoSight Institute - the Rise of K-12 Blended Learning